Buttermilk Starter Cultureit's easy to make cultured buttermilk
"Easy to use, works beautifully, and adds a better flavor to my breads and biscuits than store-bought."
–Julie, Happy Cheese Maker
This buttermilk culture makes a thick, old-fashioned New England Style, Buttermilk. For each batch, you can use 1-2 quarts of skim or whole milk, depending on your desired thickness.
The amount of character (flavor, texture) can be customized by increasing or decreasing the setting time and/or temperature.
- (LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
- (LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
- (LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar diacetylactis
- (LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
Store in the freezer for up to 2 years
Each of the five packets will make 1-2 quarts of buttermilk
New England Cheesemaking Supply Company
Kosher certificate available upon request
|Yes||No||Allergens||Description Of Components|
- Heat 1 quart of milk to 72ºF
- Add 1 packet of buttermilk culture to milk, let rehydrate for 1-3 minutes
- Stir milk for 1-2 minutes
- Let set for 12-24 hours
- Store finished buttermilk in a refrigerator for up to one week
- Q & A
- Related Recipes
- buttermilk culture
Multi-use for various kinds of cheeses.
So many uses in this tiny package. Wonderful Halloumi addition and adds just that right flavor.
Love this starter! Works every time and turns my precious raw milk into beautiful, creamy, cultured buttermilk. Highly recommend!
I made cheese with the culture and it worked wonderfully!
My favorite buttermilk culture.
Thick and Creamy
This was my first time making buttermilk and my husband loved it! It was thicker than what you buy in the store but very rich and flavorful, it makes great smoothies too. Can’t wait to try using it in a cheese recipe!