Sour Cream Starter Cultureeasy to use, pre-measured culture
"Thick, creamy and so much tastier than commercial sour cream."
–Morning G, Happy Cheese Maker
This Sour Cream starter culture will turn one quart of cream into thick, delicious, sour cream. With only two ingredients, cream and culture, it is easy to make freshly cultured sour cream at home.
For a low fat substitute, use this culture with low fat or skimmed milk.
- (LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
- (LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
- (LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar diacetylactis
- (LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
Store in the freezer for up to 2 years
Each of the five packets will make 1 pound of sour cream
New England Cheesemaking Supply Company
Kosher certificate available upon request
|Yes||No||Allergens||Description Of Components|
- Heat 1 quart of light cream to 86ºF
- Add 1 packet of sour cream culture to cream, let rehydrate for 1-3 minutes
- Stir cream for 1-2 minutes
- Let set for 12-24 hours, or until thickened to desired consistency
- Store finished sour cream in a refrigerator for up to one week
- Q & A
- Related Recipes
- sour cream
In Ill., we only have UP products. After several attempts(using prescribed recipe),found the following> 1. UP 1/2-1/2 Cream, warmed to 90*, added five drops of 'rennet' in cool-down to 86*,then spread/ added C30-incorporated! 2 Works GREAT-Better than any S.C. bought locally. SKI608@comcast.net.
made super tasty sourcream!
I used the raw milk from our own cow, let it sit overnight, skimmed the cream, added the culture per directions, let it sit overnight and by the next day was delicious, better than store-bought, sour cream. This culture was super easy to use.
Delicious and Easy!
I have used this starter several times. Very delicious and easy to make.
Sour cream starter culture
My daughter got me hooked on making my own sour cream with just a small packet of starter. I have never liked sour cream but after making the homemade sour cream, I was hooked!! So easy to make!