Sour Cream Starter Cultureeasy to use, pre-measured culture
"Thick, creamy and so much tastier than commercial sour cream."
–Morning G, Happy Cheese Maker
This Sour Cream starter culture will turn one quart of cream into thick, delicious, sour cream. With only two ingredients, cream and culture, it is easy to make freshly cultured sour cream at home.
For a low fat substitute, use this culture with low fat or skimmed milk.
- (LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
- (LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
- (LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar diacetylactis
- (LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
Store in the freezer for up to 2 years
Each of the five packets will make 1 pound of sour cream
New England Cheesemaking Supply Company
|Yes||No||Allergens||Description Of Components|
- Heat 1 quart of light cream to 86ºF
- Add 1 packet of sour cream culture to cream, let rehydrate for 1-3 minutes
- Stir cream for 1-2 minutes
- Let set for 12-24 hours, or until thickened to desired consistency
- Store finished sour cream in a refrigerator for up to one week
- Q & A
- Related Recipes
- sour cream
Best sour cream I’ve had
I bought this culture just to try once, when ordering the buttermilk culture. Made it the first time to have on tacos and to make a Jalapeño Avocado Crema sauce. Both were amazing. We haven’t bought store bought sour cream since. Just stocked up on some more culture packets to have on hand. EASY to make too. Heat the half&half add the culture and leave on the counter. Our kitchen hold pretty steady at 68-78 degrees depending on the time of year. When about 72 it took about 18 hours in a mason jar.
This stuff is amazing. It turned out so good.
Perfect sour cream every time
This product is Awesome. I am new to dairy making and was so pleased with the consistency that this product supplies. Thick, rich smooth creamy sour cream every time with the perfect tart level. Love this product. Never buying sour cream from the store again.
The sour cream started works perfectly every time for thick, smooth creamy sour cream. I am new to cheese making but this product makes success fun!
Super easy to make in an instant pot.