Sour Cream Starter Culture
This Sour Cream starter culture will turn one quart of cream into thick, delicious, sour cream. With only two ingredients, cream and culture, it is easy to make freshly cultured sour cream at home.
For a low fat substitute, use this culture with low fat or skimmed milk.
- (LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
- (LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
- (LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar diacetylactis
- (LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
Store in the freezer for up to 2 years
Each of the five packets will make 1 pound of sour cream
New England Cheesemaking Supply Company
Kosher certificate available upon request
|Yes||No||Allergens||Description Of Components|
- Heat 1 quart of light cream to 86ºF
- Add 1 packet of sour cream culture to cream, let rehydrate for 1-3 minutes
- Stir cream for 1-2 minutes
- Let set for 12-24 hours, or until thickened to desired consistency
- Store finished sour cream in a refrigerator for up to one week
- Q & A
- Related Recipes
- sour cream
- shout cream
Delicious and Easy!
I have used this starter several times. Very delicious and easy to make.
Sour cream starter culture
My daughter got me hooked on making my own sour cream with just a small packet of starter. I have never liked sour cream but after making the homemade sour cream, I was hooked!! So easy to make!
Great Taste & Easy
The sour cream starter culture is very easy to use and creates delicious sour cream. Yummy!
Love this Sour Cream
Taste is great but I thought it was a little runny so I tried adding powdered milk. Next time I'll try using heavy cream instead of half and half.
We enjoy sour cream, but I've been skeptical of the milk quality used for the store-bought kind. I made my first quart of sour cream using this starter and local raw cream, and it is good. So simple and so good. I will keep culturing it at home.