The ChefAlarm by ThermoWorks provides commercial features for at home use. This is a great choice for avid cheese makers. With large, easy-to-read digits you can even read temperatures from distance. For low light conditions, simply turn on the back light. This unit reads within ±2°F so you should never need to adjust calibration, but the CAL feature can be used for fine-tuning your accuracy to better than ±1°F.
Fold the ChefAlarm flat and place it onto a magnetic surface, such as a refrigerator, for easy storage, or tilt the display up and use it on the counter.
Continuous min/max display, tells you how hot/cold the temperatures were when you weren't looking. Set a "high/low temperature alarm" to sound when the desired temperatures are reached.
Pro-Series High Temp Cooking Probe measures to 572°F with a cable that withstands 700°F short term exposure. Every kitchen should have at least one ChefAlarm.
Larger pot clip available if needed.
Note: Some models of induction cook tops can create temporary interference with digital electronic thermometers when they are placed near the range while the cook top is powered on.
Do not submerge
- Splash-proof design
- Pro-Series® temperature probe with cable
- Pot Clip
- Adjustable high/low alarms
- Always-on min/max temperatures
- Adjustable volume
- Includes count-down/up timer
- Large digits
- ±1.8°F (±1.0°C) from -4 to 248°F (-20 to 120°C)
- Sanitize before use
- Wash stem in hot soapy water after use
- Set MAX ALARM to know when the temp of milk reaches 185F
- Then set TIMER ALARM for 20 mins to hold it there (MIN ALARM set to 180F will let you know if heat needs to be increased)
- Then set MIN ALARM to 115F to avoid over chilling the milk before adding culture.
- Set MAX ALARM to just below target milk temp to avoid overheating milk.
- Useful to monitor the temperature of milk during slow heating using the TEMP and TIMER settings.
- Set MIN ALARM one the cheese curd is at temp to know when more heating is needed.
- Set MIN ALARM for cheeses that need to be held at a specific temp while cultures remain active after draining/molding (such as many soft or lightly pressed cheeses.)
- Q & A
- Related Recipes
High Quality & Works Great
Quality product even the case. It takes a lot of stress out of the cheese making adventure.
ChefAlarm love love love it
I have been making cheeses for 12 years now I use two 5 gallon 3 ply stainless steal pots and I color one orange usually but trying to keep these two pots at the same temperature is almost impossible and standing buy my stove watching them all day is also impossible to these ChefAlarms are just a life saver, I can't imagine doing without them now and yes I did purchase a second one it just makes making cheese so much easier and I don't know how I done without them.
A bit complicated to use
Maybe it's just me, but this thermometer is sort of complicated to use in cheese making. The unit is definitely not "instant read" and takes a lot longer to get up to temp than I had expected. The probe used with the enclosed pot clip is a nice feature, as it gets the temperature away from the side of pot. The alarm is loud and that is good. Perhaps I just need to read more in the instructions on it's operation so I may like it better and decide that it is a useful tool for cheese making. It also seems to be pretty accurate.
I use this alarm for all kinds of chefery projects, but for cheese and yogurt (and beer making), this thing is what you want! It has low/high alarms, so set it for low 112 and high 180 and turn the stove off when it beeps and pitch your starter when it beeps again for low temp. The timer can help you hold a temp for a period in your cheese tempering, which is also handy. The magnet is great too, I just stick it to the side of the microwave above the stove. yes, it is not free, but the quality of your cheese and yogurt making will really improve enough that you should seriously consider one. preferably in a fun color.
Convenient, Compact and Colorful!
I am so happy with the Chef Alarm I purchased from New England Cheesemaking. It has versatile functions in one compact unit - low and high temperature settings, timer settings and alarms to let you know when your settings have been reached. This frees me up to do other things without having to run back to check on things. I also bought the submersible thermometer which make the unit even more versatile. And it comes in fun colors - I have lime green!