Mastering Basic Cheesemaking
The craft of home cheesemaking is exploding in popularity. Mastering Basic Cheesemaking provides a complete hands-on guide to making cheese and other fermented dairy products from scratch, geared toward helping the novice cheese maker to develop the intuition and abilities to position them for success, especially in the real world of the home kitchen.
This well-illustrated, clearly written practical guide assumes no prior experience on the part of the aspiring cheese maker. Topics include:
- Understanding your ingredients, tools and techniques
- Whipping up "instant cheeses" such as ricotta and paneer, while learning basic milk chemistry
- Progressing to fermented dairy products such as kefir, yogurt and sour cream
- Using bacteria and coagulant to create spreadable and tender cheeses like quark, chevre, cream cheese and American style cottage cheese
- Graduating to curdled, aged and ripened cheese—mozzarella, feta, cheddar, gouda, and parmesan.
Whether you are a budding cheesemaker, avid do-it-yourselfer, foodie, homesteader or cheese professional, this complete course in beginning cheesemaking from one of North America's foremost instructors is packed with everything you need to create delicious, nourishing and beautiful classic cheeses and other dairy delights.
Paperback | 151 pages
- Q & A
- Related Recipes
I recently purchased this Mastering Basic Cheesemaking because I’ve always been interested in cheesemaking, but I was always intimidated by the process. Fortunately, I gained the confidence after reading this book cover to cover! I’ve had the book for about a month and I’ve already made ricotta twice, and have plans to make mozzarella and feta in the near future. I’m so grateful that I found this resource, and I look forward to creating more delicious cheeses very soon!