This is a fairly easy cheese to make in the kitchen. You can age it for as little or as long as you like.
- 2 Gallons Whole Pasteurized Milk
- 1 Pack C101 Mesophilic Culture
- 1/4 tsp plus Liquid Rennet
- 2-3 Tbs Salt
- Heat milk to 90F, add your starter, and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add just a little over 1/4tsp. rennet and let set for 30 to 45 minutes, or until you get a clean break.
- Cut the curd in 1/4inch pieces and raise the temperature to 95F over the next 20 minutes, (raising no more than 2 degrees in 5 minutes) stirring gently every few minutes to prevent the curd from forming a mass.
- After 20 minutes allow the curd to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes allowing it to drop to the bottom of your pot and form a mass of curd.
- Drain the whey and mix in the curds 2-3 Tbs of cheese salt.
- Keep the curd at 95F and allow to sit for an additional 30 minutes.
- Line a cheese mold with cheese cloth and place the curds into the mold. Press the curd under 35 pounds of pressure for 6 hours.
- Remove from the press, refrigerate and enjoy.
Note from a customer: I have used your Queso Fresco instead of mozzarella in pizzas and lasagnas and my family loves it. It melts beautifully, especially if placed on top of a tortilla and heated in the stove.